Western Railway’s demolition drive at Garib Nagar in Bandra East entered its third day on Thursday with officials claiming nearly 90 per cent of the work had been completed, a day after violent clashes broke out between police and residents during the anti-encroachment operation.
A resident carries a washing machine while vacating structures during the demolition drive at Garib Nagar in Bandra East
The drive near Bandra railway station had turned violent on May 20 after a mob allegedly attacked police personnel with stones, cement blocks and paver blocks during the demolition of alleged illegal structures between the South Foot Over Bridge and Level Crossing Gate No 18.
Sixteen arrested so far
Sixteen people, including a 17-year-old minor, have been arrested so far, while police continue scanning CCTV footage, videos and viral social media clips to identify 100-150 others booked in the case. On Thursday, however, no major unrest was reported as authorities shifted to manual demolition and debris clearance.
Rubble and debris remain piled up after large-scale demolition at Garib Nagar near Bandra station
Accused arrested
1. Mohamad Dilsad Shaikh (19).
2. Zhakir Junaiddin (18).
3. Mohamad Sajid Ansari (26).
4. Salauddin Shaikh (26).
5. Rahim Khan (19).
6. Mohamad Arma Irfan (19).
7. Nazim Mohamad.
8. Mohamad Dilsad Ahmad.
9. 17-year-old minor.
10. Mohamad Ahmed Khan (26)
11. Ali Mohamad Isariakh Sayed (27).
12. Faizan Anwar Shaikh (19).
13. Aman Shaikh (22).
14. Aas Mohamad Ismail Shaikh (44).
15. Asfaq Shaikh (19).
16. Iran Ali Mohamad Shaikh (19).
Police Speak
Ramesh Wagh, Senior PI, Nirmal Nagar police station
‘Yesterday there was unrest, but today everything remained in order. We have 400 police personnel here in security arrangement and the site will be guarded during night time as well’
Flattened structures and heaps of debris seen at the Garib Nagar demolition site in Bandra East
Advocate Speak
Shaijad Mansuri, Advocate
‘My client is a 17-year-old who was detained by the cops and sent to a remand home. On the first day, the demolition drive was going smoothly, but on the second day, they demolished the religious place, which created panic in the crowd, and they attacked the cops. Due to religious sentiments, this happened. Most of the accused are between 19 and 20 years old’
Manual demolition being carried
Police personnel deployed at Garib Nagar during demolition drive. Pics/Sayyed Sameer Abedi
Officials said around 80 metric tonnes of debris are now being cleared daily, while manual demolition is being carried out to avoid risking the safety of residents awaiting rehabilitation. Police earlier alleged that some residents “became leaders” during the drive and provoked the crowd by claiming houses and religious structures would be demolished. A police source claimed the crowd turned aggressive around 4.30 pm on May 20 and began pelting stones and construction debris at personnel deployed at the site.
Policemen injured
>> RPF constable Jitendra Kumar Sajjan Singh — nose injuries
>> Constable Pratik Dagdu Jadhav — left hand injuries
>> Constable Navnath Anna Mudgul — shoulder injuries
>> Constable Omkar Dipak Koli — left shoulder injuries
>> Constable Dattatrey Tanaji Bagul — finger injuries
>> Other policemen suffered minor injuries and were discharged after treatment
Agencies involved in security deployment on Thursday
>> Western Railway officials
>> Railway Protection Force
>> Railway Engineering (Construction) Department
>> State Reserve Police Force
>> GRP
>> Riot Control Police
>> Around 1100 officials at site
Proposed facilities
>> Train examination facility
>> Train stabling facility
>> Elevated roads
>> Multi-storeyed railway buildings
>> Expansion of Bandra Terminus capacity
>> Officials said the long-term redevelopment could take 15-25 years.
Timeline
March 13: Notices issued by Western Railway
May 19: Demolition begins
May 20: Violence erupts during drive
May 23: Scheduled completion of demolition
Structures affected
>> Around 500 huts marked for demolition
>> 100 huts protected pending rehabilitation
Progress so far
>> 90% demolition completed by Thursday evening
>> Nearly 450 huts facing station road razed
>> 80 metric tonnes of debris being cleared daily
Lawful demolition
“The demolition was carried out as per court orders. Police had to resort to a mild lathi-charge to control the situation. Those involved in the stone-pelting incident have been arrested, and cases have been registered against them.”
– CM Devendra Fadnavis
Voices from Garib Nagar
Jannati Khatun, 70-year-old
‘I am homeless now, alone with no family… Don’t know where to go now’
Rukhsana, Resident
‘People are asking Rs 15,000-20,000 rent for a room with Rs 1.5 lakh deposit. We don’t have that kind of money’
Rahul Rajput,
‘I feel for residents who lost their homes, but I’m relieved to finally see this area cleared. Now the Bandra east can improve like west side’
Official Speak
Vineet Abhishek, Chief Public Relations Officer, Western Railway
‘As the demolition work nears completion, we are clearing debris at a rate of 80 metric tonnes a day. However, due to the sheer volume and other necessary post-demolition work, we will continue with a basic staff from May 23 onwards. Once the site is cleared, we will secure it with fencing’
What happens next?
According to Western Railway, the cleared land is planned to be developed into an integrated railway complex linked to Bandra suburban station and Bandra Terminus.













