Bulldozers rolled into Bandra’s Garib Nagar early Tuesday as railway authorities, civic officials, and Mumbai Police personnel carried out one of the largest eviction operations in the area in recent years. The action is part of a wider railway land clearance and redevelopment push linked to future infrastructure and commercial projects planned by the Rail Land Development Authority.
While officials maintain the drive is aimed at removing unauthorised structures affecting railway safety and infrastructure, residents insist the issue is no longer just about encroachments, but about rehabilitation, legitimacy, and survival.
‘Why were we given electricity?’
As demolition teams continued operations, residents repeatedly pointed to electricity meters, water connections, and official address documents as evidence that authorities had recognised the settlement for years.
“If this place was illegal, then why were we given electricity connections less than a year ago? Why were we given water supply and government documents carrying our addresses?” questioned Bannu Abdul Hamid Sheikh, 55.
She also claimed railway authorities had earlier permitted them to reside there and facilitated utility access over time.
Many alleged that some households had recently received electricity meters, while others were still awaiting promised connections when demolition notices suddenly arrived.
“This is absolutely wrong, they cannot just wake up after years and take everything without proper prior notice,” said Mohammed Shafi Sheikh, 62, adding, “Kids are all over the place and being injured by debris, while the elderly have nowhere to sit in this scorching heat. What will we do during the monsoon?” he added.
‘We made this place liveable’
Several families said the settlement was once marshland and dumping ground, transformed through years of labour by the people now facing eviction.
“This used to be jungle, ‘gobar and daldal’,” said another resident Naazma.
“We worked hard to make it liveable. Now that the land has value, they are removing us,” Bannu Abdul Hamid Sheikh added.
For many, Garib Nagar is not temporary shelter but a place where generations have grown up.
“I was born here, got married here, and had children here. Now suddenly we are being called Bangladeshis,” said Aaliya Sheikh, 55, another resident of Garib Nagar.
They also accused BJP leader and former MP Kirit Somaiya of targeting the locality through repeated visits and making allegations about them being Bangladeshis.
“That Somaiya came here and everything changed for us,” said Bannu.
Rental crisis adds to panic
Beyond the demolition itself, residents say the immediate challenge is finding affordable housing in Mumbai’s expensive rental market.
“We barely earn enough to survive. How can the poor suddenly arrange Rs 1-lakh deposit and rent worth Rs 25,000 rent?” questioned 34-year-old Farzana Khan.
Several families claimed they were informed about the demolition barely a week in advance, leaving little time to shift belongings or secure accommodation.
As evening approached, many said they planned to remain near the demolished structures themselves.
“We will sit here only. At night, we will tie cloth sheets and stay under them. Where else can we go with our little kids?” said Shehnaaz Sheikh.
‘The night we got hope, my husband died’
Standing amid debris and packed belongings, Naazma Javed Khureshi claimed that her family had once been promised rehabilitation.
“Two years ago, when 62 houses were approved, one of them was in my husband’s name. That night, he went to sleep at 2 am after hearing the news. When I checked on him at 4 am, he had died of a heart attack as he was overwhelmed with happiness that we were finally going to get a house,” she revealed.
According to Naazma, despite the approval and repeated surveys by civic authorities over the years, the promised house never materialised.
Around her, families scrambled to salvage utensils, mattresses, and documents as demolition teams continued operations in the locality.
Even ‘protected’ residents remain fearful
Authorities have reportedly identified around 140 structures eligible for rehabilitation protection.
However, uncertainty persists even among those residents.
Families claim electricity supply has been disconnected in several protected structures as well, creating fears that further demolitions could destabilise the entire locality.
“If neighbouring houses are demolished, our homes will also get damaged,” one resident said, adding, “Without electricity and basic services, how do we live here? Moreover, there is no guarantee till when we will get our promised houses.”
Did Supreme Court issue a stay order?
Tension escalated further after residents claimed that a Supreme Court stay order had been issued around noon during the demolition process.
According to locals, some residents showed digital copies of the alleged order to officials on site.
However, they claimed authorities demanded original documents before halting any action.
Despite the claims, demolition activity reportedly continued in parts of the locality.
‘Give us another place first, then we will demolish our houses ourselves’
Amid the chaos, residents insist they are not resisting redevelopment itself, but are demanding clarity and rehabilitation before eviction.
“Even if you want to demolish our homes, first give us another place,” Naazma said. “If we get homes, we ourselves will break these houses and leave.”








