​After months of complaints, Aqua Line may finally get mobile connectivity 

Commuters travelling on Mumbai Metro Line-3, also known as the Aqua Line, will soon be able to access uninterrupted mobile network services across the underground corridor once again.

Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation Limited (MMRC) has awarded telecom infrastructure rights to major telecom operators to restore voice and data connectivity throughout the metro route.

MMRC has jointly awarded the Letter of Acceptance (LoA) to Bharti Airtel Limited, Reliance Jio Infocomm Limited and Vodafone Idea Limited.

The telecom companies will deploy, operate and maintain In-Building Solutions (IBS) infrastructure across the entire Metro-3 corridor.

Officials said that the agreement has been signed for a period of 25 years. Under the, the telecom companies will deploy and maintain In-Building Solutions (IBS) infrastructure to provide seamless voice and data services.

BSNL access planned within 6 months

The project will also include provisions to enable BSNL network access inside the metro corridor within the next six months.

All telecom service providers are expected to begin signal propagation work across underground stations and tunnels shortly.

Better connectivity for commuters

Officials said the move will improve commuter convenience by ensuring uninterrupted access to mobile calls, internet services and digital communication while travelling on Mumbai’s first fully underground metro line.

The restoration of connectivity is expected to benefit thousands of daily passengers using the Colaba-Bandra-SEEPZ Metro-3 corridor.

Mobile blackout

Earlier, in March, with the third-party infrastructure provider being switched off for failing to meet contract conditions and any new network, there was a complete communication blackout inside Mumbai Metro’s Aqua Line, the city’s first underground corridor.

A Vodafone India spokesperson had earlier issued a statement, saying, “Vi services on the Mumbai Metro line were impacted. As per the MMRCL arrangement, Vi’s connectivity was being provided via ACES, whose primary contract with MMRCL was terminated. Despite our readiness, factors involved are beyond our direct control.”

The third-party provider had also signed a deal with the state-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL). In order to provide cellular connectivity in the underground Metro system, the Mumbai Metro Rail Corporation Limited had partnered with Saudi Arabia-based Advanced Communications and Electronics Systems Company (ACES).

 

  • Related Posts

    ​Maharashtra Congress alleges BJP came to power through ‘vote theft’ 

    ​ Maharashtra Congress president Harshwardhan Sapkal on Friday alleged that the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) came to power in Maharashtra through “vote theft” with the help of the Election Commission.…

    ​Power outage hits Dadar, Wadala and Parsi Colony after transformer trip 

    ​ A power outage affected parts of central Mumbai, including Dadar, Wadala and Parsi Colony, on Friday evening after a technical fault at the Kings Way receiving station in Dadar,…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *