​Mumbai`s Harbour Line AC locals see nearly 65 per cent jump in ridership: CR 

Mumbai’s Harbour Line air-conditioned (AC) local services have registered a 65 per cent rise in passenger occupancy, reflecting commuters’ growing preference for comfortable and premium suburban travel, according to Central Railway.

The AC local services on the Harbour Line were introduced on January 26, and have received an encouraging response from commuters since their launch.

In view of the rising demand, Central Railway introduced 14 additional AC services on the Harbour Line from May 1. With the latest addition, the railway network now operates a total of 108 AC suburban services, including 80 on the Main Line and 28 on the Harbour Line.

According to the railway authorities, occupancy figures recorded substantial growth after the increase in services. A comparison between the periods from April 16 to 30 and May 1 to 15 showed a sharp rise in both passenger numbers and revenue earnings.

The number of passengers travelling by Harbour Line AC services increased from 2.34 lakh to 3.86 lakh, registering a growth of 64.97 per cent.

Revenue earnings from Harbour Line AC suburban services also rose from Rs 1.18 crore to Rs 1.96 crore, marking an increase of 66.43 per cent.

Meanwhile, Central Railway’s Mumbai Division has intensified special ticket-checking drives in AC locals and at railway stations to curb irregular travel and ensure the safety and comfort of bona fide passengers.

The railway administration said these drives help detect and penalise passengers travelling without proper tickets and act as a deterrent against ticketless travel.

“The encouraging passenger response highlights the success of Central Railway’s efforts to provide enhanced comfort and a superior travel experience to suburban commuters while strengthening premium mobility options across Mumbai’s suburban network,” the release stated.

Central Railway cancels special traffic and power block at Kasara section

Central Railway on Tuesday cancelled the proposed special traffic and power block at Kasara in the Igatpuri-Khardi section, which was scheduled from May 19 to May 22.

According to an official statement, the block had been planned to carry out preparatory overhead equipment (OHE) work related to the removal of infringement along the route.

It said that the block was intended to facilitate essential maintenance and infrastructure work on the section. However, the plan has now been withdrawn, and no disruption will take place during the mentioned period.

 

  • Related Posts

    ​Thane Gaondevi market fire: Shinde visits injured; orders electrical audits 

    ​ Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Eknath Shinde on Thursday announced financial assistance of Rs 10 lakh each for the families of two people who died in the massive fire at…

    ​Thane Gaondevi market fire brought under control; Mayor pays tribute to deceased 

    ​ A major fire broke out at the Gaondevi Vegetabel Market in Thane at around 3:30 am on Wednesday, prompting a swift emergency response from multiple civic and disaster management…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *