Mumbai Police achieved a 99 per cent success rate in tracing missing children in the city last year, officials said on Saturday, reported the PTI.
Out of 2,182 cases of missing minors registered in 2025, the police successfully solved 2,165 cases and reunited the children with their families.
So far in 2026, seven cases involving missing children aged up to five years have been reported. Police confirmed that all seven children have been traced safely.
In total, 178 minors have been reported missing in Mumbai this year. Of these, 161 children — nearly 90 per cent — have already been located, according to the PTI.
At present, 17 minors remain untraced. These include eight boys and nine girls, all in the 16-18 age group.
Police have deployed three to four dedicated teams across different parts of the city to locate the remaining teenagers and reunite them with their families as soon as possible, the news agency reported.
Structured approach to investigations
According to the PTI, to improve efficiency, Mumbai Police have divided missing minor cases into five age categories – 0-5 years, 5-10 years, 10-14 years, 14-16 years, and 16-18 years.
Officials said that in 2025, around 55 per cent of the missing minors were boys, while the remaining cases involved girls.
In one instance, a child who repeatedly ran away from home was traced and brought back three to four times. Each time, police followed due procedure and ensured the child’s safe return.
Police dismiss rumours
Earlier this month, Mumbai Police clarified that certain social media accounts were misrepresenting data and spreading rumours about missing and kidnapped children in the city, the news agency reported.
Officials urged the public not to believe unverified claims and assured that every reported case is treated seriously and investigated promptly.
In a social media post on its official X handle, Mumbai Police wrote, “Certain social media handles are misrepresenting data and indulging in rumour-mongering regarding cases of missing and kidnapped children. We categorically deny these claims. Action, including the registration of FIRs against those deliberately spreading false information and creating public panic, is under process.”
(with PTI Inputs)
